Andy Ruiz Jr sends message to Anthony Joshua over rematch stalemate

Andy Ruiz Jr revealed confirmation of his rematch with Anthony Joshua is being held up by a disagreement over the location of the second fight.

Joshua activated his rematch clause just days after his defeat to Ruiz last June, but there is yet to be an official announcement from either side.

Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn has repeatedly said there is no cause for concern and Ruiz Jr claimed a stalemate had been caused by his wish to fight again in New York.

‘We’re still in negotiations, they [are] trying to make us go over there,’ Ruiz said on Fox Sports.

‘We are trying to get it back here in New York. I’d be more comfortable here.

‘Me and him (Deontay Wilder) we’re in the same team, I just got to beat Anthony Joshua and then we’ll move onto the next.’

Ruiz Jr is the three-belt heavyweight champion, holding the IBF, WBO and WBA (Super) titles, but Joshua has the final say on where the rematch takes place.

Joshua inserted a rematch clause into the first fight contract and Hearn explained it was the beaten Brit’s call whether to insist Ruiz Jr comes to the UK.

Ruiz Jr and Joshua are expected to fight at the end of the year and the Mexican appeared on the Fox Sports‘ broadcast of Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman alongside fellow champion Deontay Wilder on Saturday night.

Both heavyweights teased a unification clash and after slamming Joshua for his display against Ruiz Jr, Wilder praised his rival American fighter.

He sad: ‘I think it’s been this way for a long time since Lennox Lewis.

‘I’m just happy what you did you brought a different type of energy to the heavyweight division – a new face.

‘You go and do the unexpected and change it all up.’

Source: Read Full Article