Peter Handscomb says he never received a contract offer from the Melbourne Stars this off-season, leaving him no choice but to find a new Big Bash League club.
Handscomb, 29, has instead joined the Hobart Hurricanes on a two-season deal after picking them from a group of suitors including Sydney Thunder, who also made a strong pitch for the Victorian captain.
Peter HandscombCredit:Getty Images
The wicketkeeper/batsman had been the last remaining player from the Stars’ foundation squad nine years ago, but was ultimately squeezed out because of salary cap issues.
“Ultimately I didn’t get an offer from the Stars, so it’s pretty hard to stay there without an offer. That’s part of cricket. They’ve got their list, they’ve got an amazing group of players, and it gets to the point where it starts to become hard to fit everyone in and under the salary cap. I’ve got absolutely no hard feelings against the Stars, I absolutely love everyone there, it’s just the way it goes, and sometimes you’re at the wrong end of it,” Handscomb said on Wednesday.
Handscomb’s priority remains to return to the Australian Test squad but he is also keen to push his Australian white-ball selection chances by batting up the order for Hobart. He said the encouragement of Victorian and now Hurricanes teammate Scott Boland had been a key reason in choosing the club.
“This is a great opportunity for me to come down to Hobart and showcase my skills for another team,” Handscomb said.
“It was a really, really tough decision [to pick Hobart over the other contenders]. It probably came down to the opportunity of potentially being able to bat higher in the order and give myself the best chance to showcase what I can do in T20 cricket and not just be pigeon-holed into that middle-order role.”
The Stars have also parted ways with Daniel Worrall, traded to Adelaide for fellow quick Billy Stanlake.
English wicketkeeper-batsman Jonny Bairstow has meanwhile been linked with a move to the Stars.
Most Viewed in Sport
Source: Read Full Article