Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury to be presented with ‘multiple’ date and venue offers for heavyweight mega-fight this weekend as Eddie Hearn insists plans remain in place for July showdown despite concerns from John Fury that ‘there’s no money for it’
- Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury to be presented with venue offers this weekend
- The pair have agreed to a two-fight deal to contest the heavyweight titles
- A July fight is being targeted, although Team Fury have expressed doubts
- Eddie Hearn insists that the duo will meet for a mega-fight this summer
- Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Singapore and China are among sites to be considered
Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will this weekend be presented with multiple offers of a date and venue for their heavyweight showdown, Eddie Hearn says.
Fury and his father John have recently fuelled concerns that the megafight could be shelved due to the coronavirus pandemic.
‘There’s no money for it,’ John Fury said. ‘The timing’s all wrong.’ But Hearn insists the plan remains for the first of two fights to be this July.
Anthony Joshua (L) and Tyson Fury (R) will be presented with site and date offers this weekend
Promotor Eddie Hearn last month embarked on a world tour to assess the suitability of venues
‘There will be around three or four offers presented to both camps this weekend and then it’s over to them and the teams to discuss which one we want to take,’ Hearn told Sky on Thursday.
‘Two fights this year. It is a summer fight. That’s everything we’re working towards and as confident as ever that this gets done.’
Hearn responded to Fury Snr’s concerns, reflecting that the Gypsy King’s camp ‘don’t really want the fight’.
Fury’s father, John, had poured doubt on the fight, saying that Covid meant there was ‘no money’ for the heavyweight unification showdown
However, Hearn insists that plans remain for two fights this year, with the first in the summer
‘We’re in a good place. I saw John Fury’s comments. It’s almost like they don’t really want the fight. I’d like them to talk it up, rather than talk it down.
‘We’re quite aware that there has been a global pandemic. We’re quite aware that it’s not easy, but we’re out there grafting away every day to get this done.
‘A little bit of support would be nice, John and Tyson, thank you very much.
‘I know that there are some negative people out there and people that believe we can’t pull it off, but we spend a lifetime pulling things off, and I believe we will get this done, and I believe you will see this fight in the summer.’
Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Qatar and China are being consider, while Wembley is a long shot
Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Qatar and China are among the sites to have been considered.
Wembley Stadium is also an option, although it remains a longshot amid doubts that the London venue may not be able to host a full capacity crowd due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The winner of the AJ-Fury clash will hold all heavyweight belts for the first time since Lennox Lewis achieved the same feat in 1999.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article