Floyd Mayweather Jr is set to come out of retirement to fight in 2020 – but it won't be against Manny Pacquiao.
Former pound-for-pound king Mayweather is expected to announce in a press conference next week that he will fight in China early next year.
The 42-year-old will fight an exhibition match against an as yet unnamed boxer, with promoters scouring the country's talent for a suitable opponent.
Pacquiao , 40, has targeted a rematch with Mayweather in what would be a huge clash of two forty-something legends, following on from their 2015 contest which the American won with a unanimous points decision.
But it looks as though Mayweather is still determined to stay away from professional fighting as he concentrates on a big-money exhibition bout in the lucrative far east market.
The Mission Hills Group has invited media to attend a press conference in Haikou, Hainan on September 18 to announce Mayweather’s “first fight in China”.
A spokesman told the South China Morning Post : "The press conference will announce that Mayweather will hold a boxing match in China next year.
“We have already got the Hainan government’s temporary approval for this event.
“But everything needs to be confirmed with Floyd as well. The details are not 100 per cent confirmed yet. We are in the process of negotiating details with Mayweather’s management.”
The media invitation from Mission Hills added: "This match aims to enhance the friendship between two powerful nations through boxing, gaining popularity for Hainan in the role of an international tourism island and achieving Mission Hills’ vision of bringing world-class sports events to Haikou."
Mayweather's dad said last month he believed another clash between his son and Pacquiao was inevitable following the Filipino's victory over Keith Thurman.
Speaking to TMZ Sports , Floyd Snr said: "I'm pretty sure that they gonna fight.
"If Pacquaio says he wants to fight, I'm pretty sure they're gonna fight again."
Mayweather Jr previously looked to have ruled out any hopes of a rematch earlier this week after suggesting the fight will "never happen".
Source: Read Full Article