Frank Warren responds to Eddie Hearn’s ‘conspiracy theory’ over Fury vs Wilder

Frank Warren has branded Eddie Hearn's theory that ticket sales were the real reason for Tyson Fury's trilogy with Deontay Wilder being postponed "a load of nonsense".

Hearn claimed only a small fraction of the 20,000 tickets had been sold, and that those sales may be playing a bigger part in decisions around the fight than the coronavirus outbreak in Fury's camp.

But Fury's promoter Warren has slammed the Matchroom Boxing boss among a number of 'conspiracy theorists' for his thought that tickets had to do with the cancellation, and rebuffed that they had already sold a massive gate in the tens of millions.

"There have been a lot of conspiracy theories floating around as to why Tyson Fury against Deontay Wilder was postponed," Warren said in his Daily Star column.

"One of those is supposedly a lack of ticket sales – that theory has been pushed by Eddie Hearn this week.

"Yet Bob Arum [Fury's American promoter] has informed me that $14m (£10.1m) worth of tickets had been sold for the July 24 date at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

"That is without UK fans being allowed to travel over because of the current restrictions on getting into the US, so anyone claiming ticket sales is the reason is talking a load of nonsense."

Warren also said that ticket sales were performing better than expected given Fury's home fans cannot currenty travel to the United States due to President Joe Biden's travel ban.

And he says high rollers in Las Vegas casinos had already snapped up the big money seats for the fight, with ticket prices starting at $500.

"US fans were buying tickets because they're desperate for big events after lockdown," Warren continued. "While the casinos in Las Vegas were snapping them up for their high rollers, too.

"Just imagine how many more tickets could have been sold on fight week when tourists from across the US were enjoying a summer break in Vegas."

Warren has also mentioned that the bout had secured a UK broadcaster, despite claims to the contrary by Hearn and other detractors, who believe the coronavirus outbreak is a distraction tactic from other failings.

"Contrary to other speculation, there was no issue getting a UK TV broadcaster," he added. "That was set to be made official until we found out the fight had to be delayed.

"Fury against Wilder has to happen next, that is what the US judge said and it will, we just have to wait a little longer and the heavyweight division remains clogged up at the top."

Fury dominated Wilder in their last outing, brutally stopping him in the seventh round after having fought to a controversial draw in their initial 2018 meeting.

Many fans felt that Fury had won the first bout, but after being put down in the 12th round, judges scored it a draw so a rematch was called for the WBC title.

Fury was scheduled to face Anthony Joshua on August 14 in Saudi Arabia, but plans for the super-fight were shelved when an arbitrator ordered a third fight between he and Wilder.

Source: Read Full Article