Tyson Fury calls out Anthony Joshua for a huge ‘Battle of Britain’ later this year with Oleksandr Usyk out until 2023… after promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed AJ will return in December
- Tyson Fury has called out Anthony Joshua, proposing a huge showdown this year
- Joshua, 32, lost for a second time to Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk in August
- Fury and Usyk are now expected to fight in an historic undisputed bout
- But Usyk has confirmed he won’t fight until next year as he recovers from injuries
Tyson Fury has publicly called out British rival Anthony Joshua, proposing an enticing winter showdown after Oleksandr Usyk confirmed he won’t fight until 2023.
The WBC champion is pushing for an historic undisputed bout against WBA, WBO and IBF titleholder Usyk after the Ukrainian mastermind handed Joshua a second-successive points defeat last month.
A recently retired Fury over the weekend confirmed he will defend his WBC belt this year regardless of Usyk’s availability, however, and on Monday sent a public message to Joshua regarding a possible bout.
Tyson Fury called out Anthony Joshua on Monday as he proposed a showdown later this year
Joshua (right) has suffered successive defeats to Ukrainian mastermind Oleksandr Usyk (left)
The 34-year-old has not fought since claiming a stunning stoppage win over Dillian Whyte in April, since coming in and out retirement on numerous occasions.
Fury is now determined to get another fight in this year, though, pushing for a bout against Joshua before pursuing any alternate option.
‘I think you’ve all heard that I’m going to be fighting soon, within the next few months,’ Fury said in a video posted across his social media channels.
‘I think that before I announce an opponent that I need to do this, just in case.
‘Anthony Joshua, I know you’ve just lost a fight to Usyk; you’re beltless at the moment. I’d like to give you an opportunity to fight me for the WBC heavyweight championship of the world, and the lineal championship, in the next few months.
‘You’re coming off a 12-round fight so you’re match fit, you’re ready. I’m giving you a few months’ notice. If you’re interested, I’ll send you the date over, and we can rumble. A battle of Britain for the heavyweight championship of the world.
‘Let me know if you’re interested. If not, I will select another opponent.’
Usyk retained his WBO, WBA and IBF belts with a split-decision victory over Joshua in August
The Ukrainian mastermind has confirmed he has no plans to fight Fury until 2023, however
Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn has confirmed Joshua will be back in action later this year
Fury’s call-out comes after the Gypsy King confirmed he will be fighting ‘very soon’ following his appearance at WWE’s Clash at the Castle event at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.
Both Fury and Usyk have insisted a battle to become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis is the priority.
However, Usyk last week revealed he won’t be fighting this year due to injuries sustained against Joshua, and to spend time with his family having enlisted with the Kyiv Territorial Defence earlier this year following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The Gypsy King is now looking for a new opponent, which he insists will be announced shortly.
‘I will be fighting very soon,’ he said. ‘I don’t know who against, we are still looking for an opponent.
‘I will fight in the next few months here in the UK. Usyk will not be ready, he does not want to fight. I will fight whoever is available.
‘Whoever Frank Warren gets for me, that is who I will be defending my WBC belt against.’
Fury has not fought since claiming a stunning stoppage win over Dillian Whyte in April
Meanwhile, promoter Eddie Hearn last week confirmed to Sportsmail that Joshua will be out in December against a top 15 opponent, with a stadium fight against Whyte planned for next year.
‘We’re all gunning for a December return,’ Hearn said. ‘It’s not confirmed, but that’s where everyone’s minds are at.
‘We’re not booking a venue, but the conversations – as recently as yesterday – were December for his return.
‘I don’t want to start mentioning names, but it’s a top 15 fight.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article