Huge drama rocks boxing superfight, manager says fight is off

Huge drama has rocked the Jermell Charlo-Brian Castano superfight with claims the fight has been cancelled at the last minute.

The biggest fight in boxing so far this year remains uncertain just hours out from the fight after the manager of Brian Castano declaring on Sunday morning there was no fight as a result of complications with Charlo’s gloves.

In claims that have since been tempered, Castano’s representative Sebastian Contursi told ESPN Charlo’s gloves do not meet regulations and demanded the fight be stopped as a result.

The highly anticipated showdown will see the super welterweight division unified for the first time with all four major world championship belts on the line. The winner is expected to fight Tim Tszyu in the near future with a $10 million offer from the Aussie’s camp to host the fight in Australia.

Watch Jermell Charlo vs. Brian Castano Live & On-Demand on Kayo from 11am Sunday. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

“Charlo’s right glove has a balloon (sic) and that glove cannot be approved, the commissioner gave us the reason at three in the afternoon,” Contursi said.

“Charlo’s representative called Jermell’s coach, Derrick (James), they said that they could go in two hours and the Texas commissioner said yes, at five they came with a bodyguard, they threw out our translator and allowed Charlo to have a bodyguard and I never saw a thing like it in my life.

“So far there is no fight, it is not for money, with that glove we do not fight, our gloves are fine.”

However, that explosive drama has been met with scepticism across the boxing world.

Boxing guru Dan Rafael posted on Twitter Sunday morning the fight will go ahead.

“For all those concerned #CharloCastano is in jeopardy over a Charlo glove issue, a high ranking person involved in the fight just told me, ‘The fight is on. No chance it gets cancelled. Ignore the melodrama. It will be resolved’.” he posted on Twitter.

The fight will mark the first time all four major 154-pound crowns — Charlo’s WBA, WBC and IBF titles and Castaño’s WBO belt — will be up for grabs at the same time.

Charlo (34-1 with 18 knockouts) won his WBC crown over fellow American Tony Harrison in December 2019 — avenging his only career loss — and took the others last September with an eighth-round knockout of Dominican Jeison Rosario.

Castaño (17-0 with one drawn and 12 knockouts) defeated Brazil’s Patrick Teixeira by unanimous decision last February to claim the WBO crown.

When is the fight?

Coverage of fight card starts at 11am (AEST), with the Charlo-Castano fight likely to start closer to 12pm.

How to watch the fight

The Charlo-Castano fight will be broadcast live in Australia on Fox Sports 507 on Sunday from 11am. You can also stream the fight on Kayo.

Source: Read Full Article