Rex Hunt has broken his silence over his fiery 3AW exit after a furious blow up saw him walk away from his post.
It was revealed last week that Hunt had walked away from his 3AW show Footy Nightline amid a furious outburst at one of the station’s executives.
Watch The 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
It came after an interview with 1980s AFL legend Robert DiPierdomenico ran long over an ad break, with 3AW head of football Craig Moore calling down to Hunt.
It didn’t go well, with Hunt saying “it may be my last night”.
The AFL and fishing icon added that if he had to “worry about lightweights after me building the foundation for most of you people, I’ll just go fishing.”
It turned out to be as 3AW revealed on Thursday that he had stepped away from the role, although “the door is always open for him”.
At the time, some of Hunt’s friends express concerns for his welfare but the 72-year-old broadcast veteran and former VFL footballer revealed to The Herald Sun that his radio career may not be over, despite walking away from the mic.
Rex Hunt in the 3AW studio with his golden retriever, Jack.Source:Supplied
He also revealed that he was denied one final broadcast to say goodbye.
“Put it this way I was born to broadcast and don’t think I’m silly enough to walk away if I didn’t have something already in the system. And I will keep my powder dry in the short term,” Hunt told The Herald Sun.
“My station boss Stephen Beers kindly suggested I take a couple of weeks off, but I knew it was time. Just as I did in 1978 when retiring from the VFL, or my decision to leave the police department. I decided I was out of my depth and the time was right.
“My style may have damaged the 3AW brand despite the fact I was rating in the mid-20s and regularly beating the Tobin Brothers (ABC). I did want to have one more night with Tom Elliott but there was fear about what I might say.”
Dustin Martin and Rex Hunt after the 2017 AFL grand final.Source:Supplied
Hunt was left fuming on air before he exploded at the 3AW exec coming out of the intro of an ad break.
“Yeah thanks Craig. I’ve got steam coming out of my ears,” the 72-year-old legend said. “I tell you now Craig, why we dropped a break, and if you’ve got a problem from down the road to sell 3AW football, I could sell 3AW football.
“Why we dropped the break Craig, we were speaking to a man, a five-time VFL premiership player — ‘78, ‘83, ‘86, ‘88, ‘89 — a Brownlow Medal in 1986, three-time AFL team of the year, one of the most successful Italians ever to play the game, was selected in the Italian team of the century, played 240 games and scored 130 goals more than you, Craig …
“Why do I steam? Because you’re losing the very feel of what 3AW was built up from. Norman Banks and Harry Beitzel and some other fish kissing idiot. I’ll drop it now, but don’t ring during my program. Got it.”
Before his radio and television career, Hunt played 202 matches in the VFL between 1968 and 1978 with Richmond, Geelong and St Kilda, including winning two premierships with the Tigers.
In May, the 72-year-old made headlines after treating fans in a McDonalds to an impromptu call in a rare public sighting, replicating his favourite ever call — the 1989 Hawthorn-Geelong grand final.
Source: Read Full Article