Bulked-up Jon Jones continues preparations for heavyweight bow amid bitter pay row with UFC over mega-fight with Francis Ngannou with the American demanding more than £7m on offer
- Jon Jones is continuing his heavyweight preparations despite feud with the UFC
- The 33-year-old is in line to take on newly-crowned champion Francis Ngannou
- However, Jones is demanding more than the UFC’s current £7million offer
- The American has gained three stone in weight for his move up to heavyweight
A bulked-up Jon Jones is continuing to prepare for his UFC heavyweight bow, despite concerns that the American may not be next to take on champion Francis Ngannou.
‘Bones’ is embroiled in another bitter feud with his employers and last week said an offer of £7million would be way too low to take on Ngannou, the newly-crowned heavyweight king.
The UFC are refusing to budge from their stance and according to ESPN may move onto booking a rematch between Ngannou and contender Derrick Lewis instead.
Jon Jones has been snapped in training amid his bitter pay row with the UFC’s top brass
However, Jones is not allowing his feud with the UFC top brass to get in the way of his preparations, and the 33-year-old shared photos of a recent training session to Twitter on Thursday.
Pictured sprinting on a treadmill and lifting a medicine ball, the former 205-pound king looks in incredible shape as he bids to become a two-weight world champion.
Jones abandoned his light heavyweight title last year in pursuit of UFC gold at heavyweight. Rather than attempt to simultaneously hold both belts, ‘Bones’ has spent months bulking up his physique.
The 33-year-old is looking to move up to heavyweight having cleaned out the 205-pound ranks
A mega-fight with heavyweight king Francis Ngannou is a slow mover due to a row over pay
The American has reportedly gained three stone in weight, leaving fans intrigued as to how greatly the increased muscle mass will affect his mobility.
Jones has cleaned out two generations of fighters at light heavyweight and fans are excited to see how he would fare against larger opponents, particularly Ngannou, whose devastating knockout power has blitzed through the heavyweight ranks.
Mike Winkeljohn, Jones’ coach, believes the fight with Ngannou could be worth around £36m to his man if the UFC were willing to give him his worth.
‘I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a $50 million fight’, he told Submission Radio. ‘And the UFC still makes bank, and is able to pay off a lot of the debt they have and go forward. I think the UFC needs a superstar like Jon Jones. I think
Jones wants £36m ($50m) to take on Ngannou, while the UFC is offering just £7m ($10m)
‘Conor McGregor was the guy for a while, and he’s fallen off. But those big names is what makes the UFC money, ultimately.’
Jones is desperate for the fight having vacated his light-heavyweight belt for the move up a division.
Last week he talked up just how big a clash with Ngannou could be. He said: ‘I feel like this fight is monumental, match-up’s like this don’t come very often in a lifetime.
‘Me stopping Francis in my first fight up at heavyweight would be nothing short of extraordinary. Ali versus foreman, hosted by the UFC.
Derrick Lewis is being lined up to fight Ngannou if an agreement with Jones is not reached
‘I’ve been working my a** off for years, concussions, surgeries, fighting the Toughest competition UFC had to offer throughout my 20s for right around 2 million per fight.
‘I’m just trying to have my payday, the fight that all of us fighters Believe is one day possible.’
Lewis and Ngannou put on one of the worst fights in heavyweight history, which the American won on the scorecards.
But both men have since bounced back with a string of KO victories and it is the obvious fight to make for the UFC if they are adamant about not negotiating with Jones.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article