Conor McGregor advised to sack coach "immediately" after Dustin Poirier defeat

Conor McGregor has been advised to sack head coach John Kavanagh with immediate effect after hearing his assessment of his loss to Dustin Poirier last weekend.

The Irishman lost his trilogy with Poirier at UFC 264 on Saturday after suffering a horror leg break in the final seconds of the round that forced him out of the fight.

But he was losing the round 10-8 on two judges scorecards and 10-9 on the others', so many believe that regardless of the injury, the result was only going one way.

And after the bout, Kavanagh said in an Instagram Live stream that he was unconcerned with what he had seen from Poirier, and was confident that they were going to win had the fight continued.

But former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping was not impressed with Kavanagh's assessment.

“He said ‘oh, I saw nothing that concerned me. I knew that in the second round we were getting the knockout. Nothing else in there concerned me at all.’ If that’s true, John Kavanagh, Conor should fire you immediately,” he said on the BT Sport post-show.

“That was very concerning, you were on your back and you were getting dominated, it was a 10-8 round, that’s concerning.

"You don’t want to get your a** kicked, simple as that and that was what was happening.

“The leg break was unfortunate, but, as I say it gives McGregor an excuse or a reason as to why the fight ended.

"If that didn’t happen, come on the odds of him turning it around and finishing Dustin in the second round when round one is supposed to be Conor’s best round, it wasn’t good.

"It wasn’t a good performance.”

Kavanagh did a promotional livestream for his 'Wimp2Warrior' series on Sunday night, and said he was, in fact, pleased with how his fighter had performed up until the injury.

“It was going fantastic,” he told fans watching live. “I thought he looked really, really good in there.

"I wasn’t concerned at all, I was actually really, really happy – at the 4:30 mark or even the 4:45 mark, everything is gravy.

"I thought energy looked good, technique looked good – a few adjustments in between rounds, and I thought Round 2 we were well on track to getting a finish there, or keep the rhythm going for the rest of the fight.

“Credit to Dustin, he won, it’s an unfulfilling end to the night – it doesn’t feel properly finished, and there wasn't any closure.”

McGregor underwent surgery for his injury earlier this week, and said he is feeling "tremendous" after the procedure.

His management have confirmed that he is planning to return to fighting, assuming he can recover fully from the injury which will require a huge amount of rehabilitation.

Poirier, on the other hand, will now progress to a world title fight against Charles Oliveira later this year for the lightweight belt.

Source: Read Full Article