Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!
Furious Formula One fans want Max Verstappen to be slapped with a penalty at the next race in Qatar after on-board footage of his scrap with Lewis Hamilton in Brazil was finally released.
Hamilton and Mercedes were incensed after the lap 48 incident between the two championship contenders, in which the British ace overtook his Red Bull rival, only to be pushed off the track.
The seven-time F1 champion relinquished the lead back to Verstappen, who held onto it for another 11 laps before Hamilton edged past again, and this time made the move stick.
Race stewards decided that no investigation was required over the first move, with it later being revealed that the FIA was not in possession of all the footage to assess the incident during the race.
However, the footage from Verstappen's on-board camera has now been released to the public, and Hamilton fans are not pleased with the Dutchman's actions, with some calling for him to receive a penalty.
One person tweeted: "Max clearly at fault this from this new video. Something needs to happen."
Someone else said: "Lap 48 vs Qualy lap. Max open the line but the real line is near of the kerb. I think he must have a penalty."
Do you think Verstappen should receive a penalty? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
A third person added: "The fact that F1 have the technology to find out that Hamilton’s DRS wing was out by 0.2mm but couldn’t show and broadcast a camera view that could of been game changing to the world championship is mind blowing."
While another user commented: "Verstappen should take a 5 grid place penalty for next race, not saying because I'm I'm Hamilton fan but because he didn't even attempt to hit the apex."
F1 race director Michael Masi previously said Verstappen's on-board footage could be 'the smoking gun' that showed whether the 24-year-old was at fault.
In the new clip, Hamilton can be seen gliding past Verstappen around the outside only for the Red Bull driver to out-brake his rival into the corner.
Some Hamilton fans have suggested the Dutchman deliberately forced the Mercedes star off the track after making little attempt to make the apex of the corner.
Don't miss a thing with our football updates!
Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?
Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.
And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
Whether those theories ring true will be for the FIA to decide, because the Silver Arrows released a statement on Tuesday confirming they want the incident reviewed.
It read: "The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team confirms that we have today requested a Right of Review under Article 14.1.1 of the International Sporting Code, in relation to the Turn 4 incident between Car 44 (Hamilton) and Car 33 (Verstappen) on lap 48 of the 2021 Brazilian Grand Prix, on the basis of new evidence unavailable to the Stewards at the time of the decision."
When race director Masi was asked after the Grand Prix whether he believed that missing footage, which is now available, could be the 'smoking gun', he replied: "It could be, absolutely.
"But we didn't have access to it. It has been downloaded and once the commercial rights holder supplies it, we will have a look.
"We've got the forward-facing, the 360… all of the camera angles that we don't get live will be downloaded and we will have a look at them."
- Lewis Hamilton
- Max Verstappen
- Formula One
Source: Read Full Article