Ryan Newman said he suffered a head injury during his terrifying crash at the Daytona 500 last week — but didn’t break a single bone.
The NASCAR driver released a statement about his injuries through Roush Fenway Racing ahead of Sunday’s Pennzoil 400:
“I was fortunate to avoid any internal organ damage or broken bones. I did sustain a head injury for which I’m currently being treated. The doctors have been pleased with my progression over the last few days. Again, I want to thank each of you, from my partners, teammates and competitors and each and every fan across the country.”
To read his full statement, click here.
While there is no timetable for Newman’s return to racing, the 42-year-old is determined to get back to the track.
“I have spoken with Jack Roush and he has assured me that the number six car will be waiting and ready for my return,” said Newman in his statement. “I’m looking forward to getting behind the wheel and battling for another race win in the Roush Fenway Ford.”
Less than 48 hours after the fiery crash, Newman was photographed walking out of the hospital holding hands with his two daughters, Brooklyn Sage and Ashlyn Olivia.
Newman addressed the photo in his statement and thanked Roush Fenway Racing for allowing him the ability to have that special moment.
“I have to thank the guys back at the Roush Fenway Racing shop that built me a car not only fast enough to lead the final seconds of the Daytona 500, but strong enough to do its job under great distress, allowing me to survive such an accident. I am truly indebted to each of you and it is unlikely I will ever be able to properly express to you how much the diligent effort with which you conduct your craftmanship has affected me and my family.
“I hope you took pride in the photograph of me walking out of the hospital hand-in-hand with my daughters on Wednesday. Thank you. I can’t wait to get back in your race car.”
Source: Read Full Article