Newcastle legend Alan Shearer discusses the club takeover
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Newcastle United shareholder Amanda Staveley is reportedly planning to appoint former Paris Saint-Germain transfer guru Antero Henrique as the club’s new sporting director. The Magpies have been linked with a number of high-profile players since their long-awaited Saudi-led takeover was finally completed last week, with no less than four Manchester United stars believed to be on the radar at St. James’ Park.
Jesse Lingard, Donny van de Beek, Anthony Martial and Eric Bailly are all said to be on Newcastle’s list of targets ahead of next season.
The Tyneside club, who currently find themselves in the Premier League’s bottom three, have also been tipped to land PSG forward Mauro Icardi in recent days.
Newcastle are widely expected to compete with the world’s biggest clubs in future transfer windows thanks to their newly-found backing from the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia.
The fund, which is led by Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman, is reportedly worth in excess of £300billion and will be used in an attempt to help transform Newcastle into English football’s newest powerhouse.
Staveley has emerged as the public face of the takeover and has been tipped to appoint a top-class manager to replace Steve Bruce as one of her first acts at the helm.
JUST IN: Daniel Levy braced for Real Madrid talks as two-year deadline nears
However, it seems as though the 48-year-old business tycoon and her investment partners will also be looking to implement a brand-new structure at the top of the club.
Newcastle’s owners have earmarked Henrique as the perfect candidate for the role of sporting director and have already drawn up plans to bring him to the north east, according to Foot Mercato.
Henrique was in control of transfers at PSG for two years between 2017 and 2019 and was influential in bringing the likes of Kylian Mbappe to the French capital.
The club won two Ligue 1 titles during his time on their books before missing out on the trophy to Lille a year after his departure.
Henrique also served in a similar role at Porto and won plenty of praise for his work behind the scenes over an 11-year spell at the Portuguese outfit.
It remains to be seen whether the 53-year-old, who has been out of work since leaving PSG, can be convinced to take over at Newcastle before the transfer window reopens in January.
Staveley underlined her desire to appoint a sporting director last week but stressed that a considerable amount of work must be done in order to allow the right candidate to thrive in the role.
“We have thought about sporting directors and directors of football, but we need to sit down with our board and look at what we have today,” she told The Chronicle.
FOLLOW OUR NEW DAILY EXPRESS SPORT INSTAGRAM PAGE
“You can bring in the best sporting director in the world but you’ve got no infrastructure.
“Your medical staff, your training facilities, they need really heavy investment. That’s what we need to know at every single level.
“We need to attract people to work with us as well who share our dream and will do that.”
Newcastle will be hoping for a much-needed three points in their first game under the new regime when Tottenham make the trip to St. James’ Park on Saturday afternoon.
Source: Read Full Article