Bayern chief Oliver Kahn offers David Alaba update as Man Utd eye free transfer

Bayern Munich chief Oliver Kahn has given an update on David Alaba as Manchester United eye a potential free transfer for the defender.

Alaba is out of contract at Bayern at the end of the season, and is yet to agree a new deal with the Champions League holders.

The Austrian has been linked with a move to Real Madrid and Chelsea as a result.

But Daily Star Sports understands that United are also keen on Alaba, who can play at left-back or centre-back.

It is understood United bosses have spoken to Alaba's representatives about him going to Old Trafford on a free transfer next summer.

Alaba is free to speak to other clubs from January 1 and Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has accepted the defender will leave.

Allianz Arena bigwig Kahn has now spoken out about Alaba, and gave a similarly gloomy verdict on Bayern’s chances of keeping hold of the 28-year-old.

"At the moment I don't know how that should happen," he told Sport Bild.

"We rolled out the red carpet for David Alaba and went to our limits. David and especially his advisor Pini Zahavi have not walked that red carpet.

"It looks like he's looking around. We have to accept that."

Alaba defended his decision to turn down Bayern’s offer last month, insisting that he had not had enough time to come to a decision.

"Seven days are not enough for me to decide, I told Bayern that immediately," he said in November.

"We'd been travelling a lot, we've had away games, I told Bayern immediately that I wouldn't react."

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is still keen to strengthen his defence to ease the growing burden on Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof – and knows Alaba's versatility and experience is a key strength to his game.

But Solskjaer will be forced to off-load the likes of Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Diogo Dalot to make way for Alaba.

Source: Read Full Article