Chelsea make official bid for Saul Niguez as Man Utds two-man shortlist emerges

Chelsea: The first six fixtures of the 2021/22 Premier League

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Chelsea have reportedly made an official bid for Atletico Madrid star Saul Niguez. The Spain international has also been linked with Manchester United in recent days. And where he ends up remains to be seen, with the close of the transfer window on August 31 creeping closer.

Chelsea have had a quiet transfer window so far.

Romelu Lukaku has been the only big-name arrival for the Blues, with the Belgium international returning to Stamford Bridge from Inter Milan in a huge £98million deal.

But, with the August 31 deadline creeping closer, Saul could follow Lukaku to west London.

Atletico Madrid are willing to part ways with the Spain international, despite him helping them win the La Liga title last term.

And, now, journalist Fabrizio Romano has claimed Chelsea have submitted an official bid for the midfielder as they look to beat Manchester United to his signature.

THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz

Yet it’s stated that United are still in the mix to sign Saul, as well as having Rennes teenager Eduardo Camavinga under consideration.

“Saúl is set to leave Atléti,” he said on Twitter.

“Chelsea opened talks for Saúl days ago. There’s official bid now on the table – loan with buy option.

“Also Manchester United have asked for Saúl again in the last 24 hours, he’s in the list with Camavinga.

“He’s ready for PL move.”

DON’T MISS

Man Utd set Kane price by Tottenham chief Levy ‘convinced’

Barcelona’s strong XI with Ronaldo and two other signings

Arsenal’s amazing squad if Edu seals six more deals

Should Chelsea sign Saul, he’d compete with the likes of N’Golo Kante, Jorginho and Matteo Kovacic for a starting berth.

And that’s why United could have an advantage.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is eager to land an upgrade on Fred, while also seeking a long-term replacement for Nemanja Matic.

And it’s possible the Red Devils will aggressively rival Chelsea for the player’s signature as a result of Solskjaer’s determination to bolster his squad.

Chelsea have had a habit of beating United to players in recent years, however.

They famously angered Sir Alex Ferguson by landing Eden Hazard back in the summer transfer window of 2012, shortly after winning the Champions League.

They then beat the Red Devils to Cesc Fabregas two years later, when Jose Mourinho was in charge.

And Chelsea also gazumped United when it came to landing Pedro from Barcelona in 2015, too, with the Spaniard going on to be a huge Stamford Bridge hit.

Romano had previously said in July that United have ‘always appreciated’ Saul.

And that suggests they’ll give Chelsea a strong transfer battle as both teams look to bolster their ranks.

“Saul Niguez is a player that Manchester United have always appreciated – he’s considered a top midfielder,” he said.

“Niguez is on the market for Atlético Madrid in case they receive a bid of around €40-45m. As of now, United have been quiet on this.

“Manchester United have been calling for Saul Niguez, as well as Liverpool and Chelsea, asking about his situation.

“However, only if Niguez’s move to Barcelona definitively collapses, United and other English clubs will decide whether to open real talks.”

Saul has won La Liga twice with Atletico, as well as helping them reach two Champions League finals in 2014 and 2016.

Source: Read Full Article