Gareth Southgate weighs in on Roy Keane criticism though England boss "gets it"

England boss Gareth Southgate has responded to comments made by Roy Keane towards Harry Maguire in the wake of Friday's 5-0 win over Albania.

Maguire, 28, has come in for criticism following a series of poor performances for Manchester United, most notably against Liverpool towards the end of last month.

The centre-half often saves his best displays for the Three Lions, and so it proved once again on Friday as he scored and kept a clean sheet in England's romp at Wembley.

After heading in the opening goal of the contest, Maguire celebrated by cupping his ears, and then sticking his fingers in them in what was a clear message to his critics.

Keane is one of those said critics. The United legend described the defender's actions as "embarrassing," before adding that he has been a "disgrace" since his return from injury.

Southgate, who came out to bat for Maguire after Friday's match, has largely dismissed Keane's comments, although he did admit to 'getting' where the Irishman was coming from.

"I think we have to understand that the industry we’re in there’s different, in order to make a living you need to take different approaches so you have a choice of which type of approach you’re going to take," he told reporters ahead of Monday’s crucial World Cup qualifier against San Marino.

Do you agree with Roy Keane's comments? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

"I was always thinking as an ex-player, ex-manager recognising how difficult those things we so I guess I had empathy of those were stepping over the line and those in the difficult.

"It depends what you have to do to stay in work, some channels or forums require headlines, some channels or forums require a certain type of approach so it’s different, I understand that.

"To stay relevant in those fields you need to be more quotable and lifted now used from the live broadcasts for next days headlines, everyone in those shows knows how it works and it fills a different part of our industry.

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

"That’s where we’re at. Personally, as a manager I get it, so be it. But I’m sure for the players they may feel different, they’re younger, they may not have experienced those fields perhaps I’ve got.

"They’re probably thinking there were players who surely remember how difficult it was to play thinking they didn’t like it when they were criticised to step over the white line was the most difficult thing.

"They feel that a little bit differently to someone my age, so personally I get it, that’s the industry so be it."

Source: Read Full Article