‘It’s sad!’: Gary Neville reacts to news that Manchester United are set to sack Cristiano Ronaldo and says ‘it didn’t need to be like this’ for the club’s ‘greatest ever talent’ – despite his old team-mate laying into him!
- Manchester United have started the process of sacking Cristiano Ronaldo
- Gary Neville said he is ‘sad’ and that the situation could have been avoided
- He said United and Ronaldo should have sat down and had a ‘mature’ chat
- Sportsmail exclusively revealed how United have begun the legal process
Gary Neville said he is ‘sad’ to hear that Manchester United have started the process of sacking Cristiano Ronaldo after his interview with Piers Morgan.
Sportsmail exclusively revealed how United have begun the legal process of effectively sacking Ronaldo by tearing up his £500,000-a-week contract.
Neville said ‘a mature conversation’ between the club and the player ‘could have secured a smooth exit’ rather than the circus it has become.
Neville Tweeted: ‘Sad that it’s come to a point where arguably United’s greatest ever talent is likely to be sacked. It didn’t need to be like this. A mature conversation a few weeks ago between both parties could have secured a smooth exit.’
Gary Neville said he is ‘sad’ to hear that Manchester United have started the process of sacking Cristiano Ronaldo following his bombshell interview
United’s lawyers are confident they have the grounds to sack Ronaldo after he breached the terms of his contract by spurting out allegations against the club, the Glazers, manager Erik ten Hag and his teammates.
Ronaldo accused Ten Hag and the Manchester United executives of trying to force him out of the club and said they had ‘betrayed him’. The 37-year-old also said he had no respect for the Dutch manager before launching an attack on Ralf Rangnick.
As a result, the Glazers, chief executive Richard Arnold, football director John Murtough and Ten Hag have decided that it is time for Ronaldo to leave the Manchester-based club.
Neville said ‘a mature conversation’ between the club and the player ‘could have secured a smooth exit’ rather than the circus it has become
Ronaldo’s full interview with Morgan was released across Wednesday and Thursday evening
They are adamant he has burnt all of his bridges at Old Trafford and they have rejected the idea of more disciplinary action after previously dropping Ronaldo to the bench following his actions against Tottenham.
The Portugal international refused to come on as a substitute against Spurs and stormed down the tunnel before the final whistle had been blown. As a result, he was dropped for United’s following fixture and exiled from training.
Therefore, United are looking to take a stronger approach following his explosive interview with Morgan. Sportsmail revealed how United are looking to terminate Ronaldo’s £500,000-a-week contract without paying him a penny of the £16million he would have earned until it expired in June.
Ronaldo attacked Erik ten Hag, Ralf Rangnick, Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville during the chat
Sportsmail exclusively revealed how United have begun the legal process of effectively sacking Ronaldo by tearing up his £500,000-a-week contract
United were reportedly waiting for both episodes to be released before they took definite action. Once the second clip aired on Thursday evening, they began the process and released the following statement on Friday morning:
‘Manchester United has this morning initiated appropriate steps in response to Cristiano Ronaldo’s recent media interview. We will not be making further comment until this process reaches its conclusion.’
Neville thinks it is ‘sad’ that things have come to this and insist they could have come to a mutually beneficial agreement if they had of sat down and had a ‘mature conversation’ a couple of months ago.
Previously speaking about Ronaldo’s interview with Morgan, Neville told Sky Sports: ‘l don’t think he wants a way back. He wouldn’t have done this interview if he wanted a way back. He knew it would bring the headlines it has and be the end of his Manchester United career.’
The club could terminate Ronaldo’s deal following his bombshell interview with Piers Morgan
Manchester United released the following statement on Friday after episode two on Thursday
He went on to add: ‘I agree with some of the things Cristiano has said and many Man Utd fans will agree with many things Cristiano has said but the reality is if you’re an employee within a business and say those things your employment has to terminate and Man Utd have to do that in the next few days.
‘Cristiano probably wants that as well but it didn’t need to end like that. They could have come together a couple of weeks ago and navigated a pathway through what could have potentially been choppy seas to the shore but it’s not happened, they’ve both basically backed themselves into a corner.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article