Liverpool have reportedly renewed their interest in promising Anderlecht teenager Jeremy Doku. Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane have created one of the most feared attacking line ups in world football over the past few years.
All three players have also avoided serious injury, meaning Klopp hasn’t had to chop and change too much in his squad.
But Liverpool already made it clear that they were heading into the summer transfer window hoping to bring in another attacking option.
The Reds were strongly linked with a move to sign Timo Werner from RB Leipzig for several months heading into the summer window.
But their transfer plans were forced to change due to the financial implications caused from the coronavirus pandemic.
JUST IN: Liverpool make opening bid to sign Thiago with ‘agreement’ done
Liverpool were unable meet Werner’s release clause, with Chelsea swooping in to sign the Germany international.
The intent was clear though that Klopp wanted another option up front to take some of the burden away from his usual attacking trio.
Divock Origi has been the go-to option for the past few seasons but, while he’s scored some famous goals, he’s struggled to make a regular impact.
Xherdan Shaqiri may get more minutes this season after suffering an injury-ravaged campaign last year and Rhian Brewster could make the step up after an impressive loan spell at Swansea.
Jurgen Klopp expecting big things from three Liverpool stars
Chelsea’s new £230m players ‘won’t have to gel’ before title challenge
Man City boss Pep Guardiola sent Liverpool transfer warning over title
But it appears as though Liverpool are still hoping to bring in some more attacking options.
According to Het Nieuwsblad, Liverpool have renewed their interest in signing Belgian sensation Doku.
The 18-year-old made his international debut last week against Denmark and went on to score his first goal for the national side in their 5-1 victory over Iceland on Tuesday.
Anderlecht are said to be aware of Liverpool’s interest, but no concrete offer has been made yet.
He’s been tipped for a bright future, but Liverpool have known that for some years.
The Reds showed an interest in signing Doku back in 2017 and he even visited Anfield to meet Klopp, Sadio Mane and Steven Gerrard.
Speaking last month, Doku opened up about how serious Liverpool were about trying to sign him three years ago.
“It was crazy, really. I was only 15. They invited me with my parents,” he said.
“They made me visit everything. The stadium, the training complex, and we were welcomed by the top. Sadio Mané came to talk to me, Jürgen Klopp was interested by me.”
He added: “Steven Gerrard took me aside and he showed me videos… of me.
“He had a lot of them. He commented them to me: ‘What you do here, we like that a lot’, and a lot of things like that. If I’d accepted, I’d have had him as my manager with the youth.”
Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Source: Read Full Article