Man Utd: The first six fixtures of the new Premier League season
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United have told Express Sport that there’s no truth to claims they’re eyeing Atletico Madrid star Saul Niguez. Instead, the Red Devils think Chelsea are in pole position to sign the Spain international. And that means Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may now look at alternatives instead.
Manchester United have had a good summer transfer window so far.
But, not content with landing Tom Heaton, Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is still eyeing a midfielder.
Over the past 24 hours, links to Saul have intensified.
Atletico Madrid are open to parting ways with the 26-year-old, especially in the wake of the coronavirus crisis.
But Express Sport have been reliably informed by a club insider that United aren’t in for Saul at the current moment in time, putting the speculation down as ‘agent talk’.
United are aware of Chelsea’s interest in the Atletico star, who has won two La Liga titles during his spell in Spain.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
And they believe their name is being mentioned to drive up the price for the midfielder.
While that’s the case, however, United snapping up another presence in the middle of the park can’t be ruled out as the clock ticks down.
Ruben Neves is one name under consideration, with the club already doing their homework on the Portugal international.
And while United believe Eduardo Camavinga would rather head elsewhere, there’s still a possibility they’ll go after the France international.
Speaking before the club’s 1-1 draw with Southampton on Sunday, Solskjaer suggested any more arrivals would be a ‘bonus’.
Man Utd set Kane price by Tottenham chief Levy ‘convinced’
Barcelona’s strong XI with Ronaldo and two other signings
Arsenal’s amazing squad if Edu seals six more deals
“Anything from now is a bonus,” said the 48-year-old.
“I have to say that with the two signings we’ve got, we’ve strengthened where we wanted to strengthen.
“Let’s see what happens. You never know in football. Anything can happen, ins and outs.”
And he’s since doubled down on those comments, saying: “I don’t think much is going to happen.
“If something happens it is a bonus, of course.
“You never know what happens in the world of football. There’s about a week left.
“We have had a very good window. We have brought in two great football players. Raphael will lift us a lot, and Jadon will only get better and better.
“We are happy with what we have done, and then we work in the field to become a better team.
“We need to get in better shape, there is no doubt about that. There are many who have played one and a half games. It’s not much. We are laying the foundation now, then it is a long season.”
Regarding Saul, Diego Simeone previously said that they’d be gracious with any possible departure.
He said: “We cannot put aside what is rumoured and talked about.
“If he has to leave, [I’ll] give him a big hug, wish him the best with the boys who gave us life and to continue being friends, as always. Either to Barcelona or elsewhere.”
Simeone believes Saul wants to play a more prominent role rather than continue being an important but versatile option for Atletico.
“Last season he spoke with the club, with us about his needs and what he spoke about was the option of having a position on the pitch where he feels more important,” he added.
“And I consider that Saul became Saul by playing everywhere, but he or many of those around him see it as something negative.
“He is very important for Atletico because he can play as a full-back, right-wing, midfielder. He gives us a lot of options to be able to count on him. He is a player who, in that version and playing how the coach needs him to, performs very well.”
Source: Read Full Article