Man Utd: Van de Beek backed to succeed by de Boer
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United star Donny van de Beek’s agent has confirmed he held talks with Everton about a move to Goodison Park during the summer transfer window. However, a switch to Merseyside ultimately failed to happen. And the player and his team are not happy about Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to the club, either.
Manchester United stirred excitement amongst supporters when they signed Van de Beek from Ajax last summer.
Having originally intended to land Jack Grealish, they settled for the Netherlands international after being priced out of a deal.
However, Van de Beek made just four Premier League starts for United last season.
And he’s yet to feature in the top flight so far this term, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer regularly leaving out of his matchday squads.
Van de Beek was linked with a move to Arsenal and Inter Milan during the summer transfer window.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
And his agent Guido Albers has claimed he held talks with Everton about a move to Merseyside, only for United to block the deal.
Furthermore, he also stated he was unhappy about Ronaldo’s return to the club as well.
“Cristiano arrived on Friday which we knew was bad news for us,” he told Ziggo Sport.
“Pogba plays on the left, and with Cristiano’s arrival it means another extra player in midfield, with Pogba moving away from the left.
“We had conversations with Solskjær and the board.
Man Utd set Kane price by Tottenham chief Levy ‘convinced’
Arsenal make Arteta sack decision after Man City defeat
Keita agent calls out Liverpool boss Klopp
“We took the initiative to find a club and our search ended up at Everton. We opened talks with Marcel Brands and Farhad Moshiri.
“On Monday night [before deadline day] we received a call from Solskjær and the club who told us that a transfer was out of the question and that he had to report himself to training the next morning.
“The perspective now is that we stated that Donny is not a Carabao Cup player, or FA Cup player, or to play only in European games.
“Donny went to England to play in the Premier League.
“The way the conversation went this time [with Solskjær] compared to last summer… things are much more clear now.
“I have full expectations that Donny will get his chance now.
“Donny worked extremely hard in the summer. He only had seven days off. The rest of the summer he trained to become top fit. He is totally ready.”
Solskjaer, meanwhile, was recently asked about Van de Beek.
And he insisted the 24-year-old would get his chances at the club.
“Of course we started against Leeds with a team we picked and a 5-1 win was, of course, justification for the team selection,” said the United boss.
“We move to the next one, Scott (McTominay) couldn’t play and Nemanja (Matic) was our best player in pre-season, that’s why I chose Nemanja, he’s been terrific.
“Donny has worked hard, he’s done really well, he will get his chances when the season gets going.
“We had Carabao Cup games, a game every four days, we’ve had a week every game, I can’t say any other way we made the decision when you start as well as you do you don’t wanna rotate too much, that was the decision, Nemanja started ahead of Donny.”
Van de Beek could feature when United face Newcastle on Saturday.
And Ronaldo is also expected to make his second debut for the club in that fixture.
Source: Read Full Article