For the latest from the pitch sign up for our football newsletter
We have more newsletters
Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy had rooms in his mansion with 'special locking doors' where he raped two women, a jury heard.
The 28-year-old is on trial at Chester Crown Court accused of eight counts of rape, one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault, relating to seven women. He denies all of the charges.
Footage taken from a police officer’s body camera was said to have shown the inside of his Cheshire mansion, known as 'The Spinney', including some doors that could only be opened from within and could only be unlocked by someone with special knowledge of how to do so.
Timothy Cray, QC, prosecuting, said the study and master bedroom had "special locking doors", which could only be opened from within. He alleged only someone who knew how to unlock the doors could do so.
"Two of the witnesses allege rapes in those rooms," he told the court. "They felt they were locked in by those locking doors."
The jury was earlier told Mendy was a "predator" who used a "fixer" in Louis Saha Matturie to bring a "stream of women" to their homes for sex.
Cray had said: "The prosecution case is simple. It has little to do with football.
"Instead, we say, it is another chapter in a very old story: men who rape and sexually assault women, because they think they are powerful, and because they think they can get away with it."
France international Mendy is alleged to have committed the offences between October 2018 and August last year against seven young women. His co-accused Matturie, of Salford, is accused of offences relating to eight young women. He denies eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault.
The prosecutor said Matturie was a 'friend and fixer' of Mendy and one of his jobs was "to find young women and to create the situations where those young women could be raped and sexually assaulted".
Mr Cray told jurors they would hear from 13 different women. He said: "Our case is that the defendants' pursuit of these 13 women turned them into predators, who were prepared to commit serious sexual offences."
A jury of eight men and four women were sworn in for the trial last Wednesday. It is expected to last for more than three months.
Mendy joined City from Monaco for a reported £52million back in July of 2017. He has since won three Premier League titles having made 10 appearances for his country.
- Benjamin Mendy
- Premier League
- Manchester City FC
Source: Read Full Article