Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Man Utd and FA in talks over Edinson Cavani racism ban

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has leapt to Edinson Cavani’s defence ahead of his potential three-match ban for racism.

Cavani, 33, has been charged by the FA for using a Spanish phrase which is offensive in some contexts on social media.

The veteran striker sent the message to a friend on Instagram after bagging a winning brace for United away at Southampton last month, landing him in hot water with English football’s governing body.

He quickly deleted the post and issued an apology when the interpretation of the phrase in this country was explained to him.

Nevertheless, the FA soon produced a statement which branded his remark “insulting and/or abusive and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute”.

It was also alleged that his comment “constitutes an aggravated breach” which “included reference, whether express or implied, to colour and/or race and/or ethnic origin”.

Cavani, who has until January 4 to respond to the misconduct charge, could now be slapped with a three-match ban for using the offensive term online.

But Solskjaer insists his new recruit “meant no harm” and has shown remorse for his mistake since it was pointed out to him, while revealing United chiefs are locked in talks with the FA over his charge.

“Well of course I know Edinson never meant harm. He has come into a new country and made a mistake,” he said during his post-match interview with Amazon Prime.

“He's apologised, he didn't mean any malice.

“We will work with the FA. If [a three-match ban] is the case, we will hear from the FA what is the verdict.”

Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant new Daily Star Sport email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

Cavani has told United’s legal experts that there was no malicious intent behind the post and is keen to appeal against his charge from the FA.

However, should he deny wrongdoing at a hearing and lose his appeal, the former PSG star risks being hit with a ban of up to six matches.

Source: Read Full Article