Scotland clash with Czech Republic cancelled over Covid-19 spread concerns

Scotland could be handed a walkover after the Czech Republic declared that they would not play their upcoming fixture amid coronavirus fears.

The two teams are set to meet in a Nations League clash on Monday but Steve Clarke's men could now be handed a 3-0 win.

The Scots could only draw 1-1 with Israel on Friday night in their group opener, while the Czech’s beat Slovakia 3-1 at the same time.

However, with two players quarantined after testing positive for coronavirus and Slavia Prague threatening to withdraw their players, they announced soon after they will not fulfil the fixture.

A statement said: "Although the Czech national team defeated Slovakia 3-1 on Friday, the second match in Olomouc against Scotland will not take place in September.

"The international break is over, the squad has been disbanded.

"The reason is a conflict between the assigned medical professional and the head of the Czech FA.

"There is great concern that the virus could spread further. The match with Scotland will not take place on Monday."

Czech plans had been affected after West Ham midfielder Tomas Soucek and RB Leipzig striker Patrik Schick were told to self-isolate after coming into contact with a backroom staff member who tested positive for the virus.

As a result, they delayed their departure for Slovakia by 24 hours while the squad was re-tested, before players traveled by car to their venue.

Clarke’s side were due to travel to Olomouc on Sunday but the Scottish FA now say they are in the dark about what to do.

An SFA spokesperson said: “We are aware of reports that the Football Association of the Czech Republic have taken the decision not to play Monday’s game.

“We have not received any official notification from the Football Association of the Czech Republic to that effect but have contacted UEFA for confirmation on the status of the match.

“We will update further when we receive clarification.”

Source: Read Full Article