Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini becomes the latest big-name tennis player to withdraw from the Tokyo Olympics after announcements by Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Simona Halep
- Matteo Berrettini suffered a thigh injury at Wimbledon that hasn’t yet healed
- The big-serving Italian made his first Grand Slam final earlier this month at SW19
- However, he was defeated by Novak Djokovic in four sets at the All England Club
- Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Simona Halep also won’t play
- Federer and Halep are currently nursing knee and calf injuries respectively
- Nadal is recuperating, while Williams was tight-lipped over her Tokyo decision
- Find out the latest Tokyo Olympic news including schedule, medal table and results right here
Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini has become the latest high-profile tennis player to withdraw from the Olympics.
The Italian, who reached his first final at a Grand Slam earlier this month before losing to Novak Djokovic in four sets, has revealed that the thigh injury that required strapping at SW19 means he cannot compete in Tokyo.
‘I am extremely sorry to announce my withdrawal from the Tokyo Olympics,’ the World No 8 wrote on Instagram.
Matteo Berrettini’s Olympic hopes are over due to the thigh injury he suffered at Wimbledon
The Italian lost to Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon earlier this month in his first Grand Slam final
‘Yesterday I underwent an MRI to check the injury to my left leg that I got during Wimbledon and the outcome was not positive.
‘I will not be able to compete for a few weeks and will have to rest. Representing Italy is an immense honour and I am devastated by the idea of not being able to play the Olympics.
‘I wish all the Italian athletes a big good luck, I will support you from afar but with all my heart.’
The Italian National Olympic Committee have said that they cannot call up a replacement for Berrettini as the deadline for registering entrants expired on Friday.
Berrettini will be a big miss from the men’s singles along with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal
Simona Halep and Serena Williams are the biggest absentees from the women’s singles event
Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Simona Halep are just some of the famous names who have announced that they won’t be competing in the Japanese capital.
Federer and Halep are currently nursing knee and calf injuries respectively.
Nadal opted to miss both Wimbledon and the Olympics to recuperate following a rare defeat at the French Open, while Williams declined to comment on her reasons for not playing at the Games.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article