Nick Kyrgios’ doubles offer to Novak Djokovic after storming Australian Open win

Nick Kyrgios rallies during training in Australia

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Nick Kyrgios has mischievously admitted he could offer to play doubles with Novak Djokovic. The Serb has missed out on this year’s Australian Open after a lengthy row surrounding his visa. And Kyrgios has continued his efforts of trying to repair his relationship with the world No 1 after beating Liam Broady on Tuesday morning.

Djokovic was recently deported from Australia after authorities decided to prevent him from playing.

It was a hammer blow to the 36-year-old, who had been hoping to win a 21st Grand Slam at the competition.

Kyrgios and Djokovic have often exchanged barbs throughout their respective careers, with the Australian one of tennis’ biggest characters.

And now, speaking after his 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 win over Broady on Tuesday, the 26-year-old has offered to make Djokovic his doubles partner.

“It’s a new bromance. I could ask him to play doubles,” he said.

Kyrgios was in good form after his win over British star Broady and was more than happy to talk about both the match and his preparation after the contest.

THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz

“Yeah, obviously a lot of nerves, a lot of pressure,” he said.

“You know, obviously my situation a week ago, contracting Covid, it wasn’t easy.

“Obviously hearing the news I was positive, I knew what that was going to lead to, the week of quarantine, and not having the ideal preparation, not getting the physio, not getting the treatment.

“I’m pretty pleased. I’m pretty pleased with the way I responded. It was a pretty flawless, everything I could control, serving, attitude, all the non-negotiables, I did great.

“Liam obviously qualifies, tough competitor. Obviously I’ve had pretty good success against lefties at Grand Slams.

“I’ve only ever lost to Rafa at a Grand Slam that’s a left-hander. I was pretty confident my game style was going to match up well, but it was just good.”

When asked about his entertaining performance, he then added: “Oh, yeah. I think that’s something I have kind of created on that court.

“They know what to expect. First game against Thiem last year when I broke, you know, the court went into an absolute berserk state.

“I think from the get-go, I know I’ve got the crowd in the palm of my hand, and any time I can use that to, you know, spark a moment or spark some energy.

“You know, obviously Liam is a great player but his experience on that court in that situation, when the crowd is going nuts, he has never experienced that before, hence the reason why on breakpoints I’m trying to get the crowd up, get him to feel the pressure a little bit more.”

Regarding Djokovic, meanwhile, Tennis Australia issued a statement on Tuesday with regards to the decision to deport the Serb.

“Australian Open 2022 has now commenced, and our priority has always been to put on one of the world’s greatest sporting events and ensure we are delivering the best possible experience for all our players, the fans, and the community,” it read.

“The Australian Open is a showcase of Melbourne and Australia and much loved by players from all over the world.

“Tennis Australia has been working closely with both the Federal and Victorian government for the past year to deliver a COVID safe Australian Open for the players, staff, and fans.

“Embarking on a major international sporting event during a global pandemic that continues to evolve and challenge us all, is profoundly demanding for all stakeholders.

“The board and Member Associations commend the Tennis Australia CEO and the entire Tennis Australia team for their hard work and dedication to delivering a spectacular summer of tennis.

“As the Australian tennis family, we recognise that recent events have been a significant distraction for everyone, and we deeply regret the impact this had on all players.

“There are always lessons to learn, and we will review all aspects of our preparation and implementation to inform our planning – as we do every year. That process always starts once the Australian Open champions have lifted their trophies.

“Australia has a strong and proud tennis tradition, and it has been fantastic to see the crowds out cheering for the world’s best players in the lead up to and over the opening days of the Australian Open.

“We, like the players, and all tennis fans here and around the world, are keen for the focus to now be on the game we are all so passionate about.

“We are looking forward to a brilliant two weeks of tennis ahead.”

Source: Read Full Article