Jake Paul announces a complete unknown as his next boxing opponent – leaving fans unimpressed despite his claims he’s ‘delivered’ on a major rival
- Jake Paul insists his next fight in December ‘gamble’ but fans are unimpressed
- The YouTuber wants to be taken seriously by only fighting legitimate boxers
- Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk fight details out THIS WEEK: Listen to The Hook
Jake Paul has announced a complete unknown as his next fight as he confirmed he’ll take to the ring before the end of the year.
The YouTuber, who has previously fought against high-profile MMA star, has opted for a different route in an effort to legitimise his place in the world of boxing.
Paul, who suffered the first defeat of his career against Tommy Fury but returned to winning ways against Nate Diaz in August, revealed he will take on Andre August in Orlando, Florida on Friday December 15.
In a press release on Wednesday, Paul said: ‘I’m a professional boxer and I want to be world champion, so I need to pursue the path towards greatness against people who have been boxing their whole life.’
August, 35, is a professional boxer who has won 10 out of a dozen fights, winning five by knockout.
Jake Paul has revealed he will take on Andre August in Orlando, Florida on Friday December 15
‘Ask and I deliver’: Paul took to social media on Wednesday to announce the fight in December
Paul returned to winning ways against Nate Diaz in August after suffering defeat in February
The only defeat the American cruiserweight has endured came against Eric Abraham back in 2018.
Paul took to social media on Wednesday to announce the fight, leaving fans unimpressed despite claims he ‘delivered’ on a major rival.
He tweeted: ‘Ask and I shall deliver. August has more KO’s than me, more wins than me, more experience than me, but I like to gamble. The path to world champ starts here. Just straight up boxing.’
Boxing fans were swift to play down the magnitude of the fight, highlighting their disappointment.
‘Andre August is 35 years old with a 10-1-1 record. He’s fought 1 time in the last 4 years. Another pretend, old boxer,’ one fan said in response.
Another added with a cutting question: ‘Bro, are you just picking people from the street at this point?’
A third chimed in and said: ‘We won’t be watching it.’
The social media star urged he plans only to fight those ‘who have been boxing their whole life’
Boxing fans were left unimpressed despite claims the YouTuber had ‘delivered’ on a major rival
The fight between Paul and August will take place at Caribe Royale in Orlando and will broadcast on DAZN.
Unlike KSI’s blockbuster clash with former Love Island star Fury last month, the show is not set to be a pay-per-view event, with Paul confirming in October his plan to ‘focus on the sport’.
Speaking to TMZ about his comeback bout, the 26-year-old said: ‘The conclusion we are getting to is doing smaller events potentially and focusing on the fight, not the business side of it.
‘Not needing it to be some big pay-per-view draw, just focusing on the sport. That’s where my head is right now and that’s what we’re going to try to execute.’
Source: Read Full Article